Update 2/23: I never got any more bites. Thank freaking goodness.
The good news: I have safely arrived in Antigua and am settled into my new little room with my new little family just a few blocks from the hospital where I'll be working. Apparently one of the junior doctors rents one of these rooms as well (he's currently away for the weekend, as he usually - always? - is), so it is probably a pretty nice place to live or he'd have made a change. Uneventful shuttle ride from Xela, albeit ~1 hour later than they said they'd pick me up. The weather in Antigua is so nice (sorry guys). It's not that Xela is actually cold, it's just that there's no heating in the houses and it gets down to ~40F overnight.
The terrible, horrible, no good, very bad news: I think a bed bug (or many) has feasted on my body. Last night I noticed a few little bumps on my inner wrists, but sometimes I get very mild hives there so I thought nothing of it. This morning, I found it strange that both of my elbows had what I thought were mosquito bites. Then when I arrived in Antigua this afternoon, my torso was itchy so I lifted my shirt to find some pretty classic itchy bumps (clustered, in lines and such). My only access to washer/dryer is via laundromat, all of which seem to be closed on Sundays. So I am taking my host family's home/life in my hands because I honestly do not know what else to do other than wait until tomorrow-- and besides, am not able to wash every single thing I brought since I do need to wear something to work tomorrow. EEK! Wish me/them luck.
This evening, I have tentative plans to meet up with the older couple from England with whom I shared a host family in San Pedro for two weeks. They coincidentally also spent last week in Xela (although at a different school) and will be in Antigua for this next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment